Monday, June 17, 2013

Chapter 11: Muslim religion and women



     No other chapter, thus far, has evoked so many different emotions in me like Chapter 11 has. Reading about the Muslim religion made me question why people believe what they believe. Please excuse my ignorance in advance, but I just don’t understand how people believe in getting closer to a higher being or place and still inflict pain and suffering to others. While reading the section about the Quran and the Muslim tradition, I was so surprised to learn that women in this religion are allowed to be beat by their husbands if they don’t obey them. That word alone, obey, makes me uneasy. Even when said in the Christian and Catholic religion when saying ones wedding vows, I shall obey” makes me feel so little as a woman and makes me feel angry at the same time. The above reminds me of the discussion we had in class about subjugation and whether we could avoid it and I can safely say we cannot. Even in religion, subjugation is evident in that Buddhist follow the teachings of the Buddha, although he doesn’t consider himself Divine, his followers are learning to be like him. It’s also evident in other religions like the Muslims who follow the way of Allah and what Allah says, Christianity, and Catholicism, just to name a few. As a non-practice Catholic, I try to avoid talks about religion for the reason that I don’t fully understand my own, let alone someone else's point of view. I find myself questioning who is God? Why am I following in the words of someone who I don’t know? Who really knows what God’s real words were and are? I know staying away from religion won’t answer these questions, but it sure avoids arguments and misunderstanding with those who are deep believers of their religion.
     Besides having so many feelings about the role of women in the Muslim religion, I found it interesting how women had the right to divorce their husbands if they were unsatisfied with their sex life or hadn’t had sexual relations for more than four months.  I also found it interesting that women are allowed to own their own property and business. Again, excuse my ignorance, why are men allowed to beat their women if they don’t obey but women are not allowed to beat their men if they don’t fulfill their husband roles? I’m sure there is no clear answer to why, but I hope that one day traditions will change for the sake of everyone, not just for specific people or religions.    

No comments:

Post a Comment